South Punjab Forest Company
A Public Sector Company registered under Section 42 of the Companies Act, 2017
South Punjab Forest Company (SPFC) and Gujranwala Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) join hands to promote sustainable forestry
February 14, 2017:South Punjab Forest Company (SPFC) in collaboration with Gujranwala Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) organized an inception seminar at GCCI, to sensitize the business community and members of GCCI, regarding the opportunities in the forestry sector.
The seminar began with a welcome address by Saeed Ahmed Taj, President, GCCI, who chaired the event and appreciated the role of SPFC in promoting sustainable forestry investments in Pakistan. According to Saeed Ahmed Taj, ‘SPFC undoubtedly offers a unique opportunity to investors to invest in the forestry sector, which will contribute to the economy and promote green investments in Pakistan.’
Tahir Rasheed, CEO, SPFC, delivered a presentation on Investment Opportunities in Forestry Sector in South Punjab. He explained that investing in forestry will yield high returns and also contribute to reducing deforestation in Pakistan, as the wood-based industry will finally be able to rely on sustainably farmed wood. Tahir Rasheed further said, ‘Through SPFC’s initiative, we also plan to engage the Multi-national Corporations (MNCs) through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) campaigns, aimed to increase the forest cover of Pakistan and contribute to ecology.’
According to Mian Yawar Zaman, Minister, Forestry, Wildlife & Fisheries Department, Government of the Punjab, ‘Through Green Pakistan Programme in Punjab, Rs. 1,285 million have been allocated, through which almost 5.5 million trees will be planted on 10,000 acres of forest land, across 13 districts in five years. Furthermore, the department will provide 22.15 million trees to the people on comparatively lower prices, which will be easily available at 244 sale points. The initiative by Mian Shahbaz Sharif, Chief Minister Punjab, to introduce the Kissan Package, through which farmers will be facilitated in planting trees, will also contribute to the cause. The government will provide 70 per cent funds, whereas the remaining 30 per cent will be provided by farmers.’
The presentation was followed by Q&A session. Sheikh Abdul Rauf, Senior Vice President, GCCI, gave the concluding remarks and hoped that the investors will benefit from this opportunity.
More photos of this event can be found here.
For Press Inquiries